Today is May 3, 2012, and that means it’s Niccolo Machiavelli’s 543 birthday!
Here are my personal favorite facts about Niccolo:
- He had seven children and a foster son.
- The letters he exchanged with friends were famously vulgar and they told him things like “I hope you shit blood forty thousand times,” and “you are a latrine cover.”
- He could play the lute [according to Machiavelli e la Musica (Rivista italiana di musicologia)].
- He was charged with heterosexual sodomy with the prostitute La Riccia (although the accusations were dropped).
- He was supportive of his friends’ (Francesco Vettori, among others) relationships with other men; “He who is deemed wise during the day will never be considered crazy at night, and he who is esteemed a respectable man [uomo da, bene], and is worthy, whatever he does to lighten his heart and live happily renders him honor, not blame. Rather than being called a bugger or a whoremongerer, one says he is a man of broad interests, easygoing, and a good fellow.”
- He was vulgar and hilarious: “To put it more clearly, given your puritanical disposition, if I— who handle and care about women— had chanced to enter the room, as soon as I had gotten the drift of the situation, I would have said, ‘Ambassador, you are going to be ill; I don’t think you’re allowing yourself any diversion; there aren’t any boys here, there aren’t any girls here; what kind of fucking house is this anyway?’”
Happy birthday Niccolo!
Happy Birthday Desmond~ xwx
I almost didn’t find this out if it weren’t for Owlie asking me so YAY FOR CAKE.
Happy birthday to our fratellino,Dezmond!
May he live a long and wholesome life.
I COMPLETELY AGREE.
Go forth Assassins and celebrate Desmond’s birthday however you see fit! Expect random Desmond spams throughout the day from us! Party on!
Happy Birthday Desmond Miles!
Born March 13, 1987, Desmond Miles turns 25 today! Within the AC timeline, that means that he’s still working at Bad Weather, so I think I have a good idea on how he’s celebrating…
Party responsibly, dear Desmond, and don’t do anything that you’ll regret, like apply for a motorcycle license or something.
The Bureau Leaders of the Tumblrhood HQ would like to wish Patricia (nyiro) a very happy birthday!